Thursday, December 17, 2015

Synchronicity and Camp GLP

I went lookin' for some sweet inspiration-Joni Mitchell
 



Last August I traveled to New York to attend Camp GLP, a summer camp for adult creatives and entrepreneurs who want to align their work and personal lives with their common mission of making the world a better place. This is the great effort of Jonathan and Stephanie Fields of the Good LifeProject. Three days of immersion into presentations by "thought leaders", artists, authors, teachers, shamans, business people, yoga and mindfulness practitioners. This event was held at a beautiful location, was well organized and even the food was good. 350 or so attendees came from all over the globe to connect, to discuss, to collaborate. One of those attendees and I connected immediately in that way that makes you wonder about previous lives. We were fast friends. 

What my new friend could not have known when she snapped that picture of our clasped hands at the talent show, is that the reason I came was to try to find my reset button. To rejuvenate my soul after so much sadness and my business after neglecting it for so long. To find a clear direction for my art going forward. She could not have known that I have lost three siblings in less than two years, and that as two of them lay in their hospital beds asleep, I snapped secret pictures of our hands clasped in love and pain and support, knowing their time here was not to be long. 
 

She could not have known that I put those pictures away, in my files and in my mind, telling myself that some day, when I'm ready to do my serious artwork, I will paint them. She could not have known that her picture was the synchronicity I was looking for that day, having been guided by Shaman Monica Kenton in her morning workshop to be on the lookout for it. She could not have known it would wake me to the fact that it is time for me to do my serious work. My straight-from-the-gut-through-my-heart work, that will include those photos but not stop there, but continue to explore the touch of hands and the energy and the experience and the love that they hold.
 

And so I started my Touch of Hands series this fall, and it has unfolded in ways I did not anticipate, as I am allowing it to pull me rather than pushing it. I have completed six paintings so far, many of which have been gifts. I have plans for many more, and am exploring different mediums for their expression. 


As an interactive branch of this heart-based project, I have created a Facebook group, 
A Touch of Hands, where anyone who is so inclined can post their photo and story of this simple, common human act that means so much day in and day out. It is a celebration of all the things a touch of hands can mean. This photo was posted by Rick Charlie, and you can see his story about it there. I would love for you to join. 


My Artwork: www.ArtToLiveBy.com
Stencils: www.madstencilist.com
Find me on Facebook too! 





2 comments:

Laura said...

Sheri, this is SO beautiful. I have such clear, heart-filling memories of my Dad's hands, and when I look at mine, I see my mom. Because I lost my dad many years ago, and his hands are such a touchstone in my memory, I am so aware and appreciative of my husband's hands, and how I have access to him in life today and can hold and kiss and appreciate his hands while he's here with me. Thank you for this post. You are such a beautiful writer, artist and soul. Camp 2016 is too far away! xoxo

Monica K. said...

You truly inspire my dear. Your artist soul and beautiful heart come out in everything you do. From the paintings you do, the words that you express, the love that you share, and the projects you initiate. I love what you are creating with the holding hands project and I'm excited where it will take you and those who join you on the journey. There is so much power there. Thanks for sharing your journey as well as your amazing heart with all of us. Peace and much love.